Social Icons

Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

National Garlic Day! (who knew there was such a day??)


That's right, we have a day for garlic of all things - April 19th! I actually love garlic. Not by itself of course, but in food that I eat. I am always adding it to things that I cook. Fresh is best, but when I don't have that on hand, a good shake from the shaker does pretty well in a pinch.

Did you know that garlic has been used medicinally for thousands of years? I didn't until I started researching it for this post. It has been known to help in the prevention of heart disease, cancer, colds and flu. It can help lower blood pressure and also cholesterol levels and it helps to reduce the buildup of plaque in the arteries. I have even heard that it can help treat acne, warts and toothaches!

90% of garlic comes from California! I have a friend who is from the garlic capitol of the world, Gilroy, CA, so I know she will be excited to read this post:) I have actually driven through Gilroy, and it really does smell like garlic!

Which brings me to my next point. Many people shy away from garlic because of the smell. I have found that if I put a little bit of Basic H2 on my hands or just wash my hands with this hand wash concentrate, after handling garlic, my hands don't smell at all.

Shaklee makes a wonderful garlic product that gives you all of the wonderful effects of garlic along with the antioxidant effects of rosemary and spearmint. Some people take it to help with allergy issues.

Do you have any garlic tips to add or recipes you like to add it to?

Thanks for reading and have a healthy week!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates