Social Icons

Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

B vitamins - Are you getting enough? I wasn't!


Are you getting enough vitamin B in your diet? Most people aren't. I was one of them! I was surprised at this because I feel like I eat a pretty balanced diet and also supplement with Shaklee's Vitalizer food supplements, which contain a sustained release B + C vitamin. This was enough for me most days; however, when my youngest son was born 6 weeks premature last August and spent 19 days in the NICU, my stress level went up so much and my body wasn't handling it well at all!

Even after he was discharged from the hospital, I found my stress levels to be high. My hormones were out of wack from having the baby, pumping, nursing, etc. I wasn't able to hold him, let alone nurse him, for the first week of his life, so my body was pretty confused. I felt like I was going through some sort of post-pardum funk and asked the advice of Joyce Hoffmann, who is a retired nursing supervisor and lifetime master coordinator with Shaklee. Her advice was to increase my vitamin B intake! So I did. I added 3-4 of Shaklee's Vitamin B Complex per day for a few months. And it worked!!! I was out of my funk. I was not nearly as moody and irritable. My husband was so thankful! lol.

Why Vitamin B? B is known as the "stress vitamins" or "happy vitamins". There are several B vitamins - 8 to be exact and they are all in the Shaklee B Complex. (B1 Thiamine, B2 Riboflavin, B3 Niacinamide, B5 Pyridoxine, B12 Cyanocobalamin (which could be lacking for strict vegetarians), Biotin and Folic Acid which is the important one for pregnant women as it reduces the risk of birth defects)

Vitamin B can help immune functioning & antibody production, red blood cells, nerve function & communication, skin, hair, cardio function, cellular energy, hormonal balance (which is what I needed, big time!!), metabolism, digestion, colon function, sleep (another thing that I was needing with a preemie and toddler at home!), brain functioning, learning & memory, and anti-aging (also found in Shaklee's awesome Enfuselle Vitamin Skin Care products.)

Vitamin B is so great for any stress (such as a premature baby in my case!), nervousness, anxiety or panic issues, mood swings, depression of any level, calms hyperactivity, important for good digestion, crucial for weight loss, fatique, headaches, migraines, and so much more!!! It truly is a wonderful group of vitamins that helps us in so many ways! My kids even get it in their Children's Vitamins, which is so important for them too!

How do I know when I am getting enough Vitamin B?

Your urine will tell you through it's bright fluorescent yellow color. If your urine tends to be very pale in color, then you need more Vitamin B! B vitamins are water-soluble so like Vitamin C, they cannot be stored in the body. Everyone's needs differ and change daily.

Why Shaklee? Why not just get it from the drug store or other natural market?

I choose Shaklee supplements because of the science and quality in each of their many products. That is what really impressed my husband, who is a natural product researcher, about Shaklee. The company has been around for over 50 years and is the #1 natural nutrition company in the US. Their B complex is balanced according to the laws of nature and in an optimum ratio for body requirements. This provides greater bioavailability and greater absorption in the body. Shaklee also uses a unique patented processing which incorporates folic acid in the coating of the tablet, which results in high bioavailability. This is unlike anything else on the market that I am aware of. Also, unlike other company's B vitamins, Shaklee's B Complex will not cause a 'niacin flush' of reddness on the face.

I hope that was useful info for you about Vitamin B. So now I must ask, are you getting enough B each day??

And remember that new Shaklee members can get the Sports Nutrition Pack ($75 value) for FREE with a $70 order. Ask me for the details if you're interested.

Thanks for reading and have a healthy and great week!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates