Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Rhubarb Apple Strawberry Crisp!

We visited my parents in Wisconsin over Father's Day weekend and I took some rhubarb from their garden. (also took some that we are trying to transplant, so we'll see how that goes!) My grandfather planted this rhubarb many years ago so I would love to see it do well here in Indiana.


I used to eat rhubarb straight from the garden when I was a kid. No kidding. I loved the tart and crispy taste:)

I decided to make a crisp with the stalks for my monthly Shaklee info meeting with my local group at my house. In searching for recipes, I found that many of them are loaded with sugar, butter, etc and just aren't very healthy to serve at a health and nutrition meeting. lol

And then I came across this blog, where I not only found this yummy recipe, but many other healthy and dairy-free options for my family. My son has a mild allergy to dairy which causes some GI issues, so we try to stay dairy-free.

I pretty much followed the recipe as is and it turned out SO good! Yum, Yum, Yummmm!! 


The apples and rhubarb cooking down in the pan with 1/3 cup sugar and a little bit of cinnamon. Made the house smell yummy!






We went strawberry picking several weeks ago and froze many of the berries. Here are the ones I used for this recipe. They are pretty frozen here.

  


I put the rhubarb mixture in a pan and covered with the frozen strawberries.



I added the crisp oatmeal part. you can get on the details on above blog.


And I baked it for 45 minutes at 350.


It was SO good! It wasn't as sweet as some rhubarb recipes because it didn't have as much sugar. It was a little tart but everyone loved it! My kids couldn't get enough :)

Do you like rhubarb? What is your favorite rhubarb recipe?

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!

Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the shout out and I'm really glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! I will be following your blog now too looking for more yummy dairy-free recipes!

      Delete

 
Blogger Templates