Social Icons

Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Sun and Skin care




I went onto facebook this morning to find a theme amongst at least 5 of my friends - sunburn! Apparently the sun was out in force over the weekend and some of my friends or their spouses were not prepared and got burned, literally. So it reminded me that I have been wanting to write this post...

I have REALLY fair skin. Pasty white I suppose. The sun has never been good to me, so I like to stay out of it when I can. Since skin cancer is in my family, I try to be careful with the sun as I get older. I was born with red hair that has just lightened over the years from the sun. I have had my share of burns when I was younger. I regret those so much now since I know how bad burns can be for you in the long term. Now I put Enfuselle SPF 30 Sunscreen on myself and my 2 young kids when we are outside. I like it because it is waterproof and the only sunscreen I have ever found to not leave a greasy film and scent on my skin. I also use Lip Treatment SPF 15, which I also like because it is light and provides UV protection and moisture to my lips. I also like Enfuselle Time Repair AM moisturizer with SPF 15 for my face. Shaklee's skin care products are all completely safe for everyone in your family. Some of the chemicals used in other maker's products are a little scary if you ask me.

Here is a list of things that are NOT found in Shaklee's products:

- No parabens (endocrine disruptor, breast cancer)
- No FD &C or D& C dyes (carcinogens, protein inhibitor, causes hyperactivity in children, immune disruptor)
- No butyl cellosolve (causes reproductive issues, birth defects, carcinogen)
- No formaldehyde (carcinogen, skin rash, asthma) I was surprised to find many commonly used baby shampoos and products from popular companies contain formaldehyde!
- No phenols (dermatitis, cytotoxicity, kidney damage)
- No propylene glycol (endocrine disruptor, allergies, asthma)

I have another entire list of scary chemicals that Shaklee does not put into their products but I won't bore you with all of that here. If you'd like to see the list, just contact me and I can email it to you. Most of these chemicals are found in everyday products such as supermarket shampoos, moisturizers, shaving and cleansing gels, tanning solutions, pharmaceuticals and even your toothpaste! Scary stuff!

Children's skin easily absorbs chemicals. As a mom, I am always confident that the manufacturing standards that Shaklee uses are trustworthy. I can trust that the products I use with my kids are non-toxic and effective.


I found a lot of useful info about the importance of sunscreen from the American Academy of Dermatology website. Here are a few facts that I took from that website:

- EVERYone needs sunscreen, at least SPF 30 year-round. This is true no matter what your skin type is.

- apply sunscreen generously, even on cloudy days.

- wear protective clothing

- find shade when you can. The sun is the hottest between 10am and 4pm.

- get vitamin D safely - through diet and Supplementation

- avoid tanning beds

- check your birthday suit on your birthday. Skin cancer is very treatable when caught early.

- There is no safe way to tan. Tanning damages and ages your skin. Consider a quality moisturizer with SPF 15 to keep skin healthy or to repair damage from the sun.


- There is a link between sunburn & an increased risk for melanoma (the deadliest form of skin cancer)


Ways to treat a sunburn:

First Degree Burn: red and peeling. This will heal in a few days. cool baths and moisturizers may help. I have also tried lavender in the past.

Second Degree Burn: blistering. Layer gauze over the area. If it is severe with headache, chills or fever, seek medical help.

Avoid the use of "caine" products, which may cause sensitivity to a wide range of important chemicals.

I hope this was a useful post for you to encourage you to "duck and cover" as my fair skinned father likes to say:)

Do you have any skin care tips to share? I would like to hear!

Thanks for reading and have a healthy week!

Rebecca




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates