Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chicken Nuggets and Mashed Potatoes! Mmmm!

I am on a roll with the Deceptively Delicious book. Made another yummy one this weekend that I had to share!


Chicken Nuggets! Who doesn't love these, right? My kids ate them up. I was happy because my secret ingredient was......BROCCOLI! (could also use spinach, sweet potato or beet)


If I didn't make them myself, I wouldn't have been able to tell it was in there. They were SO good!

They were super easy to make. 

First, I mixed bread crumbs, Flax seed meal, garlic salt, and paprika in a bowl. (also called for grated parmesan and onion powder. I was out of onion powder and we are pretty much dairy free here because of my kids, so didn't have that either but didn't seem to miss it!)
 (flaxseed is an excellent source of fiber and omega 3s and it is SO easy to add to many things like soups, breads, pancakes, etc)

Then I ground up one cup of broccoli in a little food processor that I use for chopping and pureeing foods. You could use anything to chop it up in fine pieces. I mixed that with one lightly beaten egg in a bowl.

I cut up my chicken (I used tenderloins but you could use anything) into small nugget size pieces.

Dipped the chicken in the egg mixture

Then I covered it in the bread crumb mix


Added it to a pan with a little extra virgin olive oil that was heated.


and cooked it approximately 5 minutes on one side and then 5-10 minutes on the other until it was cooked through. SO EASY and SOOO good!

 My kids couldn't get enough of it.



Did you know that broccoli has a lot of Vitamin C in it? It's good for boosting the immune system and fighting infection.

I also made mashed potatoes with cauliflower. Have you ever made this? I do all the time. I didn't really follow the recipe in the book. I just boiled some cut up potatoes and when they were getting close to being done I added some cut up cauliflower to boil with it. 


I drained the potatoes and cauliflower and then mashed it all after I added some smart balance spread, a little garlic salt and chicken broth! I don't use milk on my mashed potatoes because my kids are sensitive to it. You can't tell that it is missing. :)

So that does it for another sneaky recipe idea. Your entire family will love it! Let me know how it goes and if you have other recipe ideas like this. Would love to hear! :)

Thanks for reading and have a great and healthy week ahead!

Rebecca








No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates