Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

How to freeze tomatoes

We have been getting a lot of tomatoes from our garden lately. 



I have made salsa, guacamole, used them in salads and recipes and given them to friends. I have also blanched them so I could freeze them to use later. I love adding them to soups and sauces in the winter time. Freezing tomatoes is really easy. 






 How to Blanch Tomatoes:

1. Wash your tomatoes and cut off stems and blemishes. They should be firm.

2. Add a few tomatoes to boiling water and boil for only 60 seconds. I only do a few at a time since you don't have to boil for very long.

 
 3. Remove tomatoes from boiling water with a slotted spoon and put into a bowl of ice water for a few seconds.



 4. Remove skins of tomatoes. It should slide off easily.



5. Cut tomatoes into desired size pieces. I like to dice or chunk mine for future sauce and soup recipes. You can also remove seeds if you wish.



6. Put portions of tomatoes and juice into ziploc bags, label and freeze.




That's it! It is SO easy! I used to buy canned tomatoes for soups and sauces but then I learned that BPA leaches into canned goods, esp. tomatoes since they are acidic. So freezing fresh organic tomatoes is much better. I look forward to having these from my garden when the snow starts flying here in Indiana:)


What do you freeze from your garden?

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates