Social Icons

Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

A Dinner that Both of my Kids Asked for Seconds!!

Many of you know that I have two adorable little boys ages 5 and 3. They are alike in many ways. Some people even ask if they are twins because they look alike. 



But one area where they really differ is their taste in food! You would think they came from a different womb or grew up in different houses when looking at their complete opposite tastes. I do make them different things for breakfast and lunch, which isn't too difficult and I don't mind doing. But for dinner I put my foot down and only make one thing for the whole family. I really love to cook and experiment with different recipes and admittedly I don't always hit a home run in that area. But it is always edible and always usually fairly healthy. :)

When one of my sons wasn't feeling well the other day, I wanted to make something that wouldn't upset his stomach further. So what did I think of? Chicken noodle soup! But I wanted to change it up a bit. I usually boil a whole roaster chicken and add carrots, onion, celery and potato along with noodles and seasonings. But I didn't have a chicken defrosted and didn't have the time to do that. So I improvised with the time and ingredients I had and…….they both loved it! My husband and I did too.  And BOTH kids asked for seconds! Something that doesn't happen often in our house. lol

Note: my youngest will eat cooked carrots but my oldest will not. Most days as I am preparing dinner I give them both a plate of raw veggies that I am cutting. My oldest will dip in hummus and my youngest likes them plain. :) They think it is something special and I am taking advantage of the fact that it is almost dinner and they are hungry and then they also get their veggies in so I don't stress if they won't eat them with the meal.



Ingredients:

2-3 chicken breast cut to bite size pieces (we prefer this but you could use whatever chicken you like and more if you are cooking for more people)

1-2 cups Chicken or Veggie broth (Aldis has a good organic one now that won't break the bank)

Water

Noodles of your choice (my family really likes the thick Reames brand found in the frozen section. Not the healthiest choice but they do taste really good)

1-2 carrots, chopped

Celery optional. I didn't have any so I didn't put it in.

1/2 onion, grated (I grate it so my kids will eat it but you could also chop it)

fresh garlic (I cook with a lot so use what you like. garlic has a lot of great immune boosting properties and it adds a ton of flavor)

1-2 cans of white beans drained (or dry if you have them on hand. I didn't this time)

Seasonings of your choice. I used a little garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, black pepper and parsley

1-2 TBS of Instant Protein (I always add this baking protein powder to my soups and baked items to thicken them or in place of some flour. It works great and adds some good nutrition to the recipe. You could also use flour to thicken)

Directions:

Saute grated onion and carrot on medium-high heat with extra virgin olive oil in a large sauce pan. After it cooks down for a few minutes add garlic. Be careful not to burn the garlic!

Stir in broth and water to fill your pan 3/4 way and seasonings and  protein baking powder or flour. Bring to a boil.

Add defrosted chicken and boil for approximately 20 min until no longer pink.

Add frozen noodles while chicken is cooking according to package  directions. When you add the noodles make sure the chicken continues to boil or add more time so it cooks through.

Add beans last. You can smash some of the beans before adding which will thicken your broth further.

Simmer and serve! The longer it sits the thicker the broth will be.


It was a nice variation on chicken noodle soup with the beans and different seasonings.

Do you experiment with recipes? Do you also have a family who has opposite tastes in food? I would love to hear some of your family favorites! Let me know what you think of this recipe.

Have a great day and visit me on Facebook soon! Would love to connect with you!

~Rebecca~










No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates