It's Thursday! I almost forgot:) Time to get organized.
I can't believe we are on week 47 already! There are 56 chapters in the book so we are on the final stretch! Wow!
If you are just joining us, we have been getting organized using Jennifer Ford Berry's Organize Now book.
It has some great info and tips on organizing various parts of our life and home. You can see past posts here:
Week 1 about Organizing Your Mind and Life Vision HERE,
Week 2 about Organizing Your Priorities HERE,
Week 3 about Organizing Your Schedule HERE
Week 4 about Organizing Your Cleaning Schedule HERE.
Week 5 about Organizing Your Personal Information HERE.
Week 6 about Organizing Your Finances HERE.
Week 7 about Organizing Your Bill-paying System HERE.
Week 8 about Organizing Your Receipts and Taxes HERE.
Week 9 about Organizing Your Files HERE
Week 10 about Organizing your Magazines and Newspapers HERE.
Week 11 about Organizing Your Email HERE
Week 12 about Organizing Your Mail HERE
Week 13 about Organizing Your Child's Toys HERE.
Week 14 about Organizing Your Crafts HERE.
Week 15 about Organizing Your Photographs HERE.
Week 16 about Organizing Your Purse or Wallet HERE.
Week 17 about Organizing Your Vehicle HERE.
Week 18 about Organizing Your Pet HERE.
Week 19 about Organizing Your Books, CDs and DVDs HERE.
Week 20 about Organizing Your Entryway or Mudroom HERE.
Week 21 about Organizing Your Family Room or Living Room HERE.
Week 22 about Organizing Your Kitchen Countertops HERE.
Week 23 about Organizing the Kitchen Cabinets HERE.
Week 24 about Organizing the Pantry HERE.
Week 25 about Organizing the Refrigerator HERE.
Week 26 about Organizing the recipes HERE.
Week 27 about Organizing the dining room HERE.
Week 28 about Organizing the Laundry Room HERE.
Week 29 about Organizing the Bathroom HERE
Week 30 about Organizing the Medicine Cabinet HERE.
Week 31 about Organizing Your Child's Clothes and Closet HERE.
Week 32 about Organizing Your Child's Memorabilia HERE.
Week 33 about Organizing Your Child's Bedroom HERE.
Week 34 about Organizing Your Bedroom Closet HERE
Week 35 about Organizing Your Memorabilia HERE
Week 36 about Organizing Your Master Bedroom HERE
Week 37 about Organizing Your Jewelry, Accessories and Purses HERE.
Week 38 about Organizing your Home Office HERE
Week 39 about Organizing the Linen Closet HERE.
Week 40 about Organizing the Basement HERE.
Week 41 about Organizing the Attic HERE.
Week 42 about Organizing the Garage HERE.
Week 43 about Organizing the Yard and Garden HERE.
Week 44 about Organizing Your Holiday HERE.
Week 45 about Organizing Your Party HERE
Week 46 about Organizing Your Trip HERE.
This week we are talking about organizing a move. How many times have you moved in your lifetime so far? I lived in the same house in Wisconsin up until I was 18 and went to college. During college I moved every year, then moved to Madison during my year off, then again to Iowa for grad school. After that I moved to California for my internship, moved again to my apartment once I got a job, moved again when I got married, then moved to San Diego for 2 years and then finally to our home in Indiana where we have stayed put for the last 4 years! Wow! I am exhausted just thinking about all of that and thankful I don't have a move coming up anytime soon. Moving can be overwhelming. Keeping your move organized helps a lot!
This Week's Goals:
1. Start sorting! Do this as soon as you decide you are moving. Don't procrastinate (coming from a true procrastinator who has been there!). Get rid of things you don't use, don't like, doesn't fit...anything you have not used in the last year is usually a good indication that you won't miss it. You can donate, throw out or sell.
We sold a ton of things on craigslist and gave a bunch to Goodwill when we moved from CA to IN. A big motivator was we didn't want to pay a moving company to haul our
crap stuff across the country! Even then we ended up having a big garage sale when we moved into our home in IN because we realized much of what we had just didn't work in our new place. lol
2. Do your packing one room at a time. Be sure to label your boxes well. Pack heavy things in smaller boxes and lighter things in larger boxes. Use wardrobe boxes for your clothing. Makes it so much easier to just put it right into your new closet.
3. Selling your home? Take out the personal stuff like pictures and knick knacks. You want the potential buyer to see themselves living there. Less is more and will make the rooms seem bigger if they are not cluttery.
4. Find an empty room to put all boxes in once you have moved. Unpack one at a time so it's not overwhelming. If your boxes are labeled well, this will make it go smoother and less stress to unpack.
5. Recycle your boxes. Give them to a friend or a local moving company.
1. Consider having a garage sale BEFORE you move. (Don't wait till after like I did. lol) Set the date and make a plan for it.
2. Consider getting a moving company to help, even if it's a local move. This will save your back, time and stress level. We have done it both ways and my husband and I agree that if we ever move again we will always hire help! Be sure to call around for quotes and get referrals from friends on reputable movers.
3. See Organize Now for a great Moving Checklist Planner.
What moving tips can you add?
Please visit me on Facebook soon! I would love to hear from you and appreciate your support. :)
Thanks for reading! Have a terrific day!