Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Gratitude Challenge Day 19!

I can't believe it's day 19 already! This month is flying by! Is it for you too? Thanksgiving is just around the corner!



My youngest son needs to bring the snack to his preschool tomorrow. When I asked him what he would like to bring he said Cookies and Apples:) So that is what he will bring. 



The boys helped me bake chocolate chip cookies today and they turned out so yummy! I have a horrible sweet tooth so I am glad we are baking these to give away. Of course we will have a few to share at home but the sooner they are eaten (by not me!) the better.





I did manage to sneak a bit of nutrition in them today and they still taste so good!



I used the recipe on the back of the dark chocolate chip bag. Dark chocolate is a better choice then milk or white chocolate as it has some good stuff that can help with blood pressure and it also has antioxidants in it. These can  help with free radical damage. When eaten with milk however, it can lose this effect. Just remember moderation is key here. :) (telling myself! )

I also added about a tablespoon of chia seeds, which are a tiny whole grain that are so easy to mix into recipes like baked goods, soups, drinks, etc. I add them to my morning smoothee and they help to bulk up my breakfast and keep me feeling full. Chia seeds are rich in omega 3s, protein, fiber and antioxidants!

The last healthy ingredient I added was this instant baking protein that does not lose any bioavailability when heated. I replaced almost half of the flour with this protein in the recipe. I also add this to soups, stews, other baked goods, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. There are some great recipes in the more info section on the protein link above. It is an easy way to get extra nutrition and when mixed with water makes a wonderful homemade soy milk! Soy has a bad reputation but when it is processed correctly (water washed rather then the cheaper alcohol wash) it is a great and complete plant based protein choice.

My kids and I had so much fun making these cookies today and even more fun sampling them after! Benjamin is excited to share them with his friends tomorrow at school. :)




Today I am thankful for fun time in the kitchen with my kids.

What are you thankful for today?

Have a great day and don't forget to check out my Flash Sale that is going on Now!!!

~Rebecca~

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates