Social Icons

Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Gratitude Challenge Day 28 - Happy Thanksgiving!!

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends! Today is a day to say thanks for all that we have. We have so much to be thankful for! It is so easy to get caught up in what everyone else is doing and what they have and we compare ourselves. But it is always important to realize the gifts that you were given - and when you really think about that and realize that, then you find things to be thankful for. We all have them. We just have to dig deep sometimes to see them all. :)

We had visited my family in Wisconsin this past weekend so today we stayed in Indiana and are having a wonderful day together. My boys gave us a nice gift of sleeping until 8am today and then we got some wonderful cuddles with them in bed. :)

Last night my husband and I had fun making some wonderful cinnamon rolls together and baked them when we woke up and enjoyed them for breakfast. They were SO good and I will do a separate post later sharing the recipe.




We played games and enjoyed parts of the Macy's Day parade this morning.



And then had a wonderful Thanksgiving feast! This was the first year we got a fresh turkey from one of my Shaklee customers, Elliot Dale, who uses Basic H on his organic farm. I knew it would be good, but I had no idea how good this bird would taste! I am not the biggest fan of turkey and this actually tasted more like chicken to me. It was tender, juicy and delicious.  I also bought a stewing hen from him as he assured me it would make the BEST broth and that it did! We used the broth in our stuffing, as a base to cook the turkey in, for the mashed red potatoes, and have plenty left over for soups and recipes. You can see more of the great meat options available through Elliot if you live in Indiana on the Maple Hill Farm's Facebook page. It is located in West Point, IN which is not too far from Lafayette. The boys and I had fun going to pick it up on Tuesday as they ran around and played in the leaves. :)



I also made homemade stuffing this year (another first) and we had my mom's famous cranberry dessert with fresh cranberries, fresh pineapple and plain greek yogurt and then freeze it overnight and thaw it this morning so it is a little slushy. It was really good too! 



And of course pumpkin pie made from real pumpkin. The taste is so much better then canned in my opinion and gave us extra pumpkin to make cookies with, hopefully tomorrow:)

Rose champagne followed by going to see the movie "Free Bird" which is very cute and about some turkeys trying to save the turkey from being the official meal served at Thanksgiving. The boys really enjoyed it.

All in all, a good family fun day!

So today I am very thankful for this day, good food and my wonderful family to enjoy it with!

What are your Thanksgiving traditions? What are you thankful for today?

Thanks for reading and enjoy your holiday!! Safe travels if you are heading back home this weekend. 

~Rebecca~

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates